Joe primarily practices in the areas of construction law, government contracts, and litigation. He represents general contractors, construction managers, design-builders, specialty contractors, trade associations, suppliers, manufacturers, sureties, and project owners in a variety of construction-related disputes and transactions. He regularly works with clients to avoid costly disputes by assisting with contract and claim negotiations, advising on industry best practices and changes in the law, and providing general counsel on business decisions. Joe has also successfully represented his clients’ interests in a variety of forums, including various state and federal courts, administrative bodies, and in arbitration.
Joe has over ten years of experience working in the construction industry, including field construction and supervision, project management, and cost controls. This real-world experience provides a unique advantage in all areas of construction law from contract negotiations to dispute resolution.
Joe is actively involved in industry associations, and has been appointed to local and national leadership positions. He is the Secretary/Treasurer of the Idaho Associated General Contractors and has served on the Idaho AGC Board since 2014. He also serves on the Steering Committees of the AGC of America’s national Contract Document Forum and Project Delivery Forum. He has participated in a number of working groups drafting and revising agreements published by ConsensusDocs®, including the CD296-CD299, CD498-CD499, and CD541. These industry standard contract documents are developed by the collaboration of a coalition of national associations representing diverse interests in the construction industry, including groups representing owners, general contractors, and specialty contractors.
Joe understands the importance of supporting the continued education of current and future construction professionals. He has presented on and published resources addressing a number of construction law issues both locally and nationally. He is a member and past-Secretary of the Industry Advisory Board for the Department of Construction Management at Boise State University. He also regularly interviews scholarship finalist on behalf of the AGC Education and Research Foundation.
- Idaho AGC:
- Secretary/Treasurer (2018-Present)
- Board of Directors (2014-Present)
- Chair of the Associates/Supplier Advisory Board (2014-2017)
- Various leadership positions on the Construction Leadership Council (2004-2014)
- AGC of America:
- Steering Committee for the Contract Document Forum (2011-Present)
- Steering Committee for the Project Delivery Forum (2016-Present)
- AGC Education and Research Foundation – Scholarship Interviewer (2014 – Present)
- Steering Committee for the Construction Leadership Council (2009-2012)
- Department of Construction Management at Boise State University
- Industry Advisory Board (2013-Present)
- Secretary of Industry Advisory Board (2015-2019)
- American Bar Association:
- Forum on Construction Law – Project Delivery Systems Division (2014-Present)
- Public Contract Law – Contract Claims and Dispute Resolution Committee (2014-Present)
- Idaho State Bar Association:
- Real Property Section (2014-Present)
- Litigation Section (2014-Present)
- Appellate Section (2014-Present)
- Federal Bar Association:
- Government Contracts Section (2014-2015)
- Federal Litigation Section (2014-2015)
- AGC’s Commentary on the AIA A201 General Term and Conditions Document, 2017, AGC of America Publication (Member Only), July 2017 (Co-Author).
- Chasing Out-of-State Work May Cost Unsuspecting Contractors, Idaho Business Review, October 2012.
- Beware of Federal False Claim Act on State and Local Projects, Idaho Business Review, April 2011.
- Penalties Clarified under the Idaho Contractor Registration Act, Idaho Business Review, July 2010.
- Ensuring Performance in a Troubled Economy, Idaho Business Review, February 2009.
- Guide to Employee Travel Expense Reimbursement, AGC of America Publication, 2008 (Co-Author).
- Construction Claims: A Race Against Time?, Idaho Business Review, August 2007.
- When is a Construction Manager Liable for On-Site Injuries, Idaho Business Review, July 2007.
- Review Contracts to Limit Consequential Damages, Idaho Business Review, January 2007.
- Idaho AGC – Time is Money: Effective Claim Strategies for Project Delays, Disruption, and Acceleration (Boise, ID – June 27, 2019)
- Idaho AGC – How the Revised AIA Contract Documents Affect Your Contracting Business (Boise, ID – July 26, 2017)
- AGC of America: Key Tips for GCs and Subs to Unlock Subcontract Negotiations (National Webinar, May 24, 2017)
- AGC of America: Annual Convention – Key Tips for GCs and Subs to Unlock Subcontract Negotiations (Las Vegas, NV – March 8, 2017)
- Idaho AGC: Annual Convention – Legal Implications of Statutory Preferences (Boise, ID – December 10, 2014)
- AGC of America: Building Division Conference – Managing Legal, Bonding and Insurance Risks on Joint Venture Projects (Austin, TX – September 11, 2014)
- AGC of America: Building Division Conference – Increasing Productivity through Technology with ROI in Mind (Colorado Springs, CO – October 19, 2013)
- Idaho AGC, President’s Award (2018)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, Rising Stars (2015-2018)
- ENR Mountain States, Top 20 Under 40 Award (2014)
- Idaho Business Review, Accomplished Under 40 Award (2013)
- Idaho, 2008
- University of Idaho, B.S. Finance, 2001
- University of Idaho, J.D., 2008