Wayne has a long career in construction law, business law, real estate law, and litigation. In 1980, he formed a law firm in Boise, Idaho to meet the specialized needs of the construction and real estate industries. His emphasis in construction and real estate law continues today.
Wayne’s clientele has included general and specialty contractors, construction managers, design-builders, suppliers, manufacturers, project owners and developers, sureties, real estate investors, and related businesses. He has extensive experience representing businesses involved in federal, state and local government construction, negotiation of commercial construction contracts, complex real estate transactions, project financing, claims and dispute resolution including dispute review boards, mediation and arbitration, business formation and advise, and years of experience in complex litigation in state and federal court throughout the western United States, including practice before the U.S. Courts of Appeals and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
Since 1980, Wayne has also served as Executive Director and general counsel to the Idaho State Building Authority which finances and develops state governmental facilities for the State of Idaho and community college districts in Idaho. He has guided the Authority in financing, developing, and constructing numerous major government projects. The projects include simple state parking garages, several state office buildings, a 200-acre multi-building to serve as a consolidated state agency complex, numerous state prison facilities, mental health and skilled nursing facilities, and education buildings for Idaho’s colleges and universities, including state-of-the-art supercomputer and cyber security research and education facilities.
He has long been a member of the Idaho Chapter of the Associated General Contractors (Idaho AGC) and a member of other construction and real estate industry associations. He has served four separate terms on the Idaho AGC Board of Directors and is the only person to be named Idaho AGC Associate of the Year more than once. In 2013, he received one of the construction industry’s highest and most prestigious honors, the AGC of America SIR Award. SIR Award recipients are recognized for their fulfillment of the AGC of America’s three tenets, Skill, Integrity, and Responsibility. Wayne continues to be active with Idaho AGC committees, including consulting on legislation affecting the industry.
- Idaho AGC:
- Board of Directors, Idaho AGC, 1998-2003 and 2011-2013
- Associate of the Year, Idaho AGC 1998 and 2010
- Associated General Contractors of America, SIR Award 2013
- Previous member of Inland Pacific Chapter of the Association of Builders and Contractors, National Electrical Contractors Association, Idaho Chapter of the Construction Financial Management Association, and Building Contractors of Southwest Idaho
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Wayne has authored numerous articles, seminar materials and special subject publications, and served as principal speaker at meetings, seminars, and events sponsored by construction industry groups. Subjects included construction contract interpretation, contract negotiations, public bidding, claims dispute resolution, construction liens, insurance and risk management, contractor licensing, project safety, and project management best practices.
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV-Preeminent” Peer Rating and “AV-Preeminent” Judicial Rating
- Mountain States Super Lawyers (2007-Present)
- Best Lawyers in America (2005-Present)
- Multiple years as Construction Lawyer of the Year, Construction Law and as Construction Lawyer of the Year, Litigation-Construction
- Construction Lawyers Society of America, Charter Fellow
- Who’s Who in American Lawyers.
Bar and Court Admissions
- Idaho State Bar, 1972
- Idaho Supreme Court, 1972
- U.S. District Court, District of Idaho, 1972
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1972
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1986
- Admitted for specific cases in the state and federal courts in the states of California, Colorado, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.
- University of Idaho, B.S. Business, 1970
- University of Idaho, College of Law, Juris Doctor, 1972